If you haven’t already, you need to start implementing the power of exit-intent popups. Why? To answer this question, you must first understand what exit-intent popups are!
These popups display a message announcing a promotion, a discount, free delivery, additional information, an opt-in form, or any message of your choice just before the visitor clicks the close button.
The exit popup software determines the purpose of your guest’s visit as it tracks their behaviors. It responds to the activities displayed by the user’s actions with a unique message or special offer geared explicitly to the browser tab of interest. For instance, if a blog post is read, a message can appear that offers a product discount relevant to the content they read or recommend additional related content.
It would be best if you designed these exit overlay popups to advocate for each unique feature of your e-commerce sites, which will increase your conversion rate. They are your final opportunity to keep potential customers on your website, blog post, or social media page. It would be best if you offered something of value that gives the visitor a compelling reason to stay instead of leave.
Are Exit-Intent Popups Effective At Lead Generation?
Internet marketers in all industries use exit popups because they work. This exit-intent technology has a 5% to 10% greater conversion optimization rate than traditional popups. The popup plugin needs to make sense and should not annoy your guest. An exit-intent plugin should only appear just before they push the close button.
For marketing campaigns to be successful, popups should never be a substitute for a well-designed website. To create the most effective compelling exit popups, study the behaviors of your visitors. Adapt the popup behavior to respond accordingly. With exit-intent software, you can drill down to a deeper level in your niche, similar to a sales presentation.
Whether they have clicked on a specific product, read a blog post, or explore your services tab, these actions all show an interest. Exit-intent software gives the shopper time to view your site and does not interfere until they are ready to leave. Building on the information they have given to you, exit-intent targeting grabs their attention with a unique tailored offer.
As a marketer, your website popup must be appealing, persuasive, friendly, clear, and relevant with stunning images, bold print, and suitable animations.
Above: Mobile Exit Intent Popup Image
Why Should You Use Exit-Intent Popups On Your E-Commerce Sites?
You can display a different popup form for a new shopper vs. a previous buyer. Engage your site visitor and personalize their experience of your business. Not all shoppers are the same, so don’t treat them all the same.
Exit-intent technology can convert casual web browsers to buyers if you show them what they want at the right time (when they want it). Sometimes just showing a product or service with a different format will be the ticket to win their business. Try focusing on benefits instead of price.
Perhaps you are working on a new item or project you are confident they would be interested in, but you have not yet finished updating your web pages. This is a perfect time to reveal the exciting news to your potential customers through a regular plugin or a WordPress plugin.
You have already invested in advertising to bring a potential customer to your business, and you do not want them to leave until you have a way to maintain contact with them. Just before they leave, your page is your second chance for future communication. Collect their email address by offering a free pdf with valuable information pertinent to their browsing or offer news of upcoming discounts with a newsletter sign up.
Here is an example of what an excellent exit-intent popup looks like (Oh, and look!) You can add discounts or promotions as bait, to lure website visitors into lead captures, eventually leading to more sales! I mean, come on – everyone loves a good deal.
How Does Exit-Intent Technology Work?
Exit-intent technology tracks your visitors’ characteristics by their behaviors as they view and interact with your web page. The exit-intent software follows and detects the mouse actions of potential customers. The actions of their scrolling, hovering, and clicking alerts on the landing page show you the intent of the visitor who came to your site. The popup window brings your website alive, and you can zero in on a personal level.
At just the right moment, exit-intent targeting delivers an irresistible promotion that offers something of value based on the interests of the user. Be as creative as possible since that will improve your conversion rate optimization. The potential of exit-intent strategy will enable you to generate an endless variety of popups with a special offer aimed precisely at the needs your website visitor has shown you.
Strategic Uses For Exit-Intent Technology
There are many different uses for exit-intent technology.
Below, you’ll find the most strategic ways you can use exit-intent popups:
- Increase sales and service sign-ups by offering a promotion or a special deal relevant to an interest shown as they were browsing your web pages on their computer or mobile device. Alert them to a sale of something they showed an interest in but missed the link to the sales page. Upsell or cross-sell a different but a similar thing based on the potential customers browsing. Introduce a new feature or upgraded technology. Make an offer powerful and different from what you showed on the website.
- An opt-in form to sign up for your newsletter is frequent use. Your newsletter can alert the shopper of periodic sales, special discounts, or exclusive nuggets of information. The purpose is to generate enough interest for future business. Lead generation through a newsletter can cultivate customer loyalty and increase sales with email marketing drip campaigns.
- Offer extra content of value unique to the visitor with an opt-in form for a free pdf.
- Give additional incentives with a coupon code or offer a running discount code to delivered to their emails.
- Offer a free trial or professional tips.
- Use as a communicating tool to address objections with a short series of questions or exit survey about their needs for which they did not find a solution on your web pages. Provide a unique offer at the end of the questions.
- Reduce cart abandonment. Remind the viewer they have placed an item in the cart and suggest they save the cart. Give an offer that will convince a visitor to purchase at a discount rather than abandon the cart. Offer an exchange of a discount coupon for their email address, so that you can add them to your company’s email list.
- Show an alert to a price change or availability of an item they viewed.
- Offer support with a live chat.
- Provide an invitation to a free webinar, a consultation, an event, or a survey.
- Show favorable review quotes.
- If they have made a purchase, ask them to follow you on social media to keep them informed of related special offers. Suggest they share their purchase on social media.
- Exit-intent strategies can personalize your lead captures in endlessly creative ways.
- Ask for feedback that may help you improve your merchandise, services, and your e-commerce sites. Analysis of your visitors’ behaviors may provide data to enhance your business or do a content upgrade.
So get out there with your exit-intent popups and watch your sales and business begin to boom.